11 September 2015

On General Happiness

Things that make me happy:


  • Rainy days when I'm at home and can sit and just listen to it
  • References students make to things that I've said in the distant past
  • Random visits from people I like, even if it's not me they're really coming to see
  • Smart references in books that are allusions to other things I know
  • Incredible, deep, personal discussions 
  • Playful banter
  • Winning, even if it's not directly related to my own personal gain
  • A clean house, a well-cooked dinner, and time to sit and do nothing at all
  • In opposition to the above, and incredibly full, busy (and fulfilling) day
  • Teaching things I absolutely LOVE
  • Teaching people I absolutely LOVE
  • Video games I've played over and over and over, and test still want to keep playing over and over and over
  • A crisp, only slightly sweet apple
  • A cute dress, and cute shoes
  • Super heavy blankets, which necessitates my space being cold
  • Watching my grape vines grow and flourish
  • Watching my dog run around the house like a crazy beast, sliding on the rugs because she has no traction
  • Watching my cat chase the light which reflects off my hand-held mirrors
  • A good, fresh haircut
  • the smell of dirt when it's raining somewhere
  • The clarity of the sky after it rains, when you can see the mountains like they're in your back yard
  • The rolling green hills of the California Central Coast
  • Crying at the majesty of the Lincoln Memorial
  • The surprise of three or more cherries in a Shirley Temple made by an awesome waitress
  • Geeking out with others over the awesomeness that is the writing of Aldous Huxley
  • The sound of a baseball when struck squarely with a wooden bat
  • Writing something that is absolutely exactly what I had in mind (SO rare!)
  • Believe it or not, producing these blogs and (hopefully) sharing/inspiring others with my randomness
  • Working with people I love, who are better than me in many/all ways
  • Feeling the absolute love and support of those around me
  • Doing nice things for others, no matter how small
  • Finding comfort in the uncomfortable
  • The true and genuine happiness of others, especially if I'm there to witness it (and even more so if I have a part to play in it)
  • Seeing former students go off to awesome schools, loving their lives, and doing something incredible with them
  • Oddly enough, finding the meaning and value behind the tragedies and little moments of melancholy in life -- I may enjoy the drama of life, a bit
  • The time I get to spend by myself, in quiet (I don't exactly 'meditate' -- but I do enjoy solitude, probably a product of being an only child, I'm good at keeping myself occupied)
  • Reflection

Good for now, more to come later.  Have an excellent weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment